The College was located in the old Taylor House. The structure was originally built in the 1870s and served as a boarding house to newly arriving individuals to Como, Mississippi who were arriving by train, coach or horse.
“The same train tracks, were later used to transport the ‘City of New Orleans.’ “The Illinois Central Railroad introduced the original City of New Orleans on April 27, 1947 as a daytime companion to the overnight Panama Limited. EMD E7 diesel locomotives pulled a new lightweight Pullman Company coaches. The 921-mile (1,482 km) route, which the City of New Orleans covered in 15 hours 55 minutes, was the longest daytime schedule in the United States. The City of New Orleansexchanged St. Louis—New Orleans through cars at Carbondale, Illinois andLouisville—New Orleans cars at Fulton, Kentucky. The average speed of the new train was nearly 60 mph (97 km/h); a result of the largely flat route of the Illinois Central along the Mississippi River and maximum speeds of up to 100 mph (160 km/h). By October 25, 1959 the timetable had lengthened to 16 hours 30 minutes. The train remained popular throughout the 1960s and gained ex-Missouri Pacific Railroad dome coaches in 1967.” [Wikipedia]
At one time, Como was one of the most important towns in the United States. “Como’s history includes some of the wealthiest people in Mississippi. It is said that at one time Como had more millionaires per capita than any other town. The Taylor, Swango and Wardlaw families still have descendants in the town. Mississippi Fred McDowell, Napoleon Strickland, Sid Hemphill, Jessie Mae Hemphill and Othar Turner were old time Hill Country musicians who lived in or near Como. Como is home of Jimbo Mathus‘ Delta Recording Studio, which records artists from around the world. The town is also the home of blind sculptor Sharon McConnel-Dickerson, who created life castings of over 50 blues musicians.“ [Wikipedia]